The Pima School Food Service Department is committed to serving high quality, nutritious meals to our students and staff. We also teach the importance of nutritious meals and we encourage good eating habits.
As you know, nutrition impacts classroom performance, so our menus and food preparation are designed to teach health wellness. We also encourage parents to help their children to eat healthy, nutritious foods both at school and at home. Start your day with a healthy, nutritious breakfast and reap the benefits:
- Eating breakfast can help improve math, reading, and standardized test scores.
- Children who eat breakfast are more likely to behave better in school and get along with their peers than those who do not.
- Breakfast helps children pay attention, perform problem-solving tasks, and improves memory.
- Children who eat school breakfast are likely to have fewer absences and incidents of tardiness than those who do not.
- By eating breakfast, students get more of important nutrients, vitamins, and minerals such as calcium, dietary fiber, folate, and protein.
- Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight.
- Eating breakfast as a child is important for establishing healthy habits for later in life.
- Schools that provide breakfast in the classroom to all students have shown decreases in tardiness and suspensions as well as improved student behavior and attentiveness.
- What you eat for breakfast can have an impact on learning. One study showed that eating breakfast food high in fiber and low in sugar helped students sustain the cognitive effects of breakfast.
- School breakfast provides ¼ the recommended amounts of protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C for the day.